Saturday, January 22, 2011

The greatest invention...in my book



One thing I absolutely love is learning alternative uses for different products. Some examples: The white part of an orange peel can be used to whiten teeth, coffee grounds can reduce the appearance of cellulite, Vodka removes water spots from faucets handles & disinfects surface areas, WD-40 gets tomato & lipstick stains out of clothes, and vinegar does about everything you could possibly imagine. Vinegar has to be the greatest invention in the world! Right next to the wheel and peppermint patties. I feel like the dad from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” and his addiction to Windex. I carry a bottle of it where ever I go and sleep with it at night to ensure better dreams. If Matt broke his leg right now I would probably soak it in vinegar. That ought to fix it! Okay, maybe I'm not that addicted to it, but seriously for cleaning it is the best. I have always hated using chemical cleaning products to clean my house. No particular reason. I just have never liked the thought of chemicals being all over, especially since we have a dog and a tot running around. It puts my mind at ease knowing that if Livvy licked the water faucet the worst that could happen is she would be a little tipsy for a while. Also, I hate having 20 different bottles in the cupboard that only accomplish one specific use. I found one website that listed 131 uses for vinegar! Talk about a multipurpose product. And it only cost about 2 bucks for a gallon. The only down fall to this amazing product is the smell. But I've also learned, the smell doesn't last too long. 5 minutes tops. I think that pretty much wraps up my feelings for vinegar.    

6 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

haha! you are so funny! i didn't realize what a resourceful liquid it was :)
i am also going to have to give the coffe grounds and the orange's whites a try!
you are a domestic GODESS :)


xoxo

Sarah said...

Totally agree with you, in fact I have an entire post on my blog devoted to vinegar and baking soda. Great minds think a like. Man, if you like vinegar, you're gonna LOVE baking soda! Didn't know about the orange peel whitener though. Just rub it on, or what?

Mom said...

When your gramma was a young mom and trying to lose weight (years before "Slimfast") I remember she used to stir up this concoction w/ water and vinegar that she would drink (just thinking about it makes my thoat contract. . .) as an appetite depressant - I think maybe it pickles the stomach or something - did it have that tip on the vinegar website? Ü

Monica said...

I'd like to know the link for the vinegar website. It sounds really interesting.

Anonymous said...

I've used it to get the scummy residue out off of my shower door. It was stinky but it wooorked! :)

Kynda said...

Wow! That is quite the tribute to vinegar! Now I know what to get you for your birthday...